Saturday, June 2, 2007

The Cliffs of Moher in Ireland



Rob and I decided to visit the Cliffs of Moher while Angie went to kiss the Blarney Stone. There are so many things to do in Ireland and because time was tight, I wanted to see the Cliffs of Moher. Several people had told me how beautiful they were but to tell you the truth I never imagined they would be as spectacular as they were.
This was another long tour- about 12 hours that started on a train and ended on a train with a bus tour in between. Saturday morning Rob and I rode the train with Angie and Georgia together until we got to Limerick. There we parted ways and we got on a bus. We toured Limerick and saw the building relating to Angela's Ashes. Limerick was a cute town; I wish we could have seen more of it.
Out of Limerick we headed West to the Atlantic Ocean towards Galway and the Cliffs of Moher. Along the way we stopped in a seaside town called Doolin. We ate at a pub that's been around since the 1800's and I had the best fish and chips I had on the entire trip. They were 14.95 Euro so it was about $18.00 but it was great with homemade tartar sauce. I make a big deal out of tartar sauce because normally you get it out of little packets, like ketchup. Tartar sauce is really only big with Americans- but it was tasty!
After lunch we headed up to the Cliffs of Moher. It was sunny but very windy- I mean hurricane force winds in excess of 75 miles per hour. You had to be very careful and stay on all the footpaths lest you end up over the side of the cliffs. Last year 25 people fell off the cliffs and this year 4 have to date. I have attached a picture to show you the beauty of the cliffs.
After the cliffs, we went to the Burren, a limestone outcropping all along the Atlantic coast of Ireland. Early settlers settled here because the grass grows 11 months out of the year. Another mystery of the Burren is that 3 types of flowers that are non-native to Ireland grow side by side here.
After the Burren we went to Galway where we were to catch the train back to Dublin. Galway is a lovely city with a university and a very youthful vibe. Rob and I ducked in to a pub and had some Irish Coffee, walked around some and then bought some sandwiches and snacks for the 3 hour train ride back to Dublin.
This tour was 99.00 Euro or about $140.00 and was worth every penny. Remember that trains and buses often offer a less expensive way to see the countryside than renting a car.
Next post, Beer and Whiskey... oh my!

No comments: